At Northwest Medical Center's Diagnostic Cardiac Cath Lab, we perform a variety of tests to detect the presence of heart disease. The type of tests performed depends upon the referring physician's interpretation of the patient's risk factors, medical history and current symptoms.
Your physician will usually perform preliminary tests, such as chest x-ray and blood work, and may progress to more specialized procedures including echocardiography and cardiac catheterization.
Cardiac Catheterization Lab
The advanced technology in our cardiac catheterization laboratory includes the Siemens HiCor imaging and CathCor Physiologic monitoring systems. The Cardiac Catheterization Lab also has a 2-bed recovery area featuring an integrated, portable monitoring system.
Our echocardiography section is equipped with the latest in transthoracic and transesophageal ultrasound systems. We are extremely proud to have been the first facility in South Florida to make Hewlett-Packard's sophisticated HP Sonos 5500 system available to our physicians and patients. It includes an Omniplane rotatable phased array TEE transducer that features dual frequency and steerable PW/CW flow Doppler capabilities.
Caring Professional Staff
The Cardiac Diagnostic Center is staffed by compassionate, skilled nursing and technical professionals specially trained in cardiovascular medicine.
The laboratories at the Cardiac Diagnostic Center specialize in the following procedures:Cardiac Catheterization Lab:
- Right and left heart catheterization
- Coronary and aortic angiograms
- Intra-aortic balloon pump insertions
- Thrombolytic therapy
- Diagnostic 2-dimensional echocardiography with or without M-Mode and Color Flow Doppler
- Transesophageal echocardiography with Omniplane Transducer
- Routine thalium stress test with imaging
- Persantine stress test with imaging
- Cardiac wall motion studies
- Angioplasty of peripheral vessels
- Peripheral vascular stent placement